For the Muffins:
- 2 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ TBSP pumpkin spice
- 1 TBSP ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut oil melted and cooled
- 1 cup chocolate chips (divided)
For the Optional Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 TBS milk (I used oat milk)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease two muffin/cupcake tins or line with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together pumpkin, sugar, applesauce and honey, Greek yogurt, eggs, vanilla and melted/cooled coconut oil.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredient mixture by gently folding in using a spatula or mix on low speed with an electric mixer.
- Fold in 3/4 cup of chocolate chips with spatula.
- Spoon batter in greased muffin tins about ¾ of the way full. Top the batter with the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips (a few on each muffin.) Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool in the tins for about 25 minutes before removing.
- For optional glaze: Sift the powdered sugar into a medium bowl. Whisk in milk and vanilla extract. Drizzle glaze on top of each muffin. Serve and enjoy!