- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup mushrooms (cubed)
- 1 cup white quinoa
- 1 9 oz package of chopped frozen spinach
- Over medium-low heat melt butter, and then add flour. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon for about 2 minutes. The mixture should appear light and fluffy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Take the butter and flour mixture off the heat and let it cool slightly. Slowly add milk and whisk. Return pan to low heat. Whisk until the mixture is smooth.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Add cheese, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, pepper and garlic powder and whisk until all ingredients are combined and the consistency becomes smooth once again. Add mushrooms to the sauce. Put on low heat and stir periodically while you prepare the spinach and quinoa.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Over high heat bring 2 cups of water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to a boil. Rinse quinoa using a mesh strainer. Add quinoa to boiling water. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for about 15-20 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked through and tender.
- Thaw the frozen spinach in the microwave. It should take about 5 minutes in a microwave safe bowl. Strain the water from the spinach. I used a mesh strainer and pushed the excess water out using a wooden spoon.
- Add the sauce and spinach the quinoa and stir over low heat. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!